Sunday, July 16, 2023

Tough to Articulate.

"Man Hanging out," David Černý.

Prague, CzechiaFranz Kafka's head spins gently, in silvery tranches.

Modern buildings are distorted in its mirrors.

A man and a woman hang from umbrellas over the street; Einstein, from a beam. A Russian tank, currently painted the colours of the Ukrainian flag, is half buried in a lawn.

Nearby, ghost-like men emerge from the trees, haunted and crippled. The memorial to victims of communism still bears scars of an explosion.

Re-reading my notes from the past couple days, I can see how the heat and my exhaustion haven't served me well in the crowds. I'm not here for the parties, and the crassness of it all likely tainted my initial impressions.

So far, Sunday morning seems quieter.

I'm still grateful for the opportunity to experience such a historic and global city – there's so much beauty to see, but many of the unfortunate parts of capitalism are on full display.

But I have absolutely loved all the public art.

No comments:

Post a Comment