Saturday, July 8, 2023

Surprise!

The wait. The weight.
Reykjavik, Iceland – “Excuse me, sir; would you mind taking a photo?”

He stands in the doorway, fidgeting with his wallet. His camera hangs from his neck.

I tap him on the shoulder and repeat the question when I don't get an answer.

As he turns, I see a haze pass across his face. He squints. I watch seconds pass with each blink as he begins to register. Somewhat.

“What are you doing here?” comes the expected reply.

I’ve come all this way to surprise my parents, who have been travelling the past 10 weeks. My father shakes his head and laughs. He’s giddy to tell my mom, who’s not yet ashore.

So many things could have derailed this plan: bad weather, a change of itinerary, no desire to leave the ship, a mood. And yet, as they so often do, things worked out.

On the ferry to Viðey Island, he tells anyone who will listen that his son has surprised him. He shakes his head and beams a very special smile.

In a word: success.

What a great, great morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment