Sunday, June 14, 2015

Out of Town.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park, minus the bear.
Pigeon Forge, TN – We began the day careening down Highway 23 – the Country Music Highway, apparently – past tree-lined peaks nestled into low-lying clouds.

I hadn't gone a mile before a sun-kissed fawn crossed the road in front of me. It ambled away with an awkward gait and a stunned look. I'm not sure it knew what to make of the rumble from my engine.

Cedar and eucalyptus provided nature’s cologne, eagerly breathed in. The whole experience through the clouds reminded me of my time in Rwanda. Today offered some of my all-time favourite rides.

All morning, we'd go up, down and around like we were riding a ribbon a young child had awkwardly glued to a page.

Then, stuck in traffic, we were greeted by the neon theme park that is Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, which is set against the vast majesty of Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It's sadly reminiscent of Niagara Falls, Ontario: once a beauty, now faded and overcompensating with too much make-up.

Instead, strip malls showcase 'As seen on TV' stores, countless billboards for commercially made ‘moonshine’ and Dollywood. All of this framed by the towering canopy of trees cascading over winding roads through the park.

I’ll take the latter, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment