Monday, June 15, 2015

Like a Champ.

So. Many. Churches.
Campbellsville, KY – I floated by a butterfly, and got stung by a bee.

I don’t imagine the insect was thrilled about having slammed itself into my leg at 80 km/hr, leaving me banking through 10 more minutes of curves before I could finally stop to pluck the stinger from my skin.

Wear chaps, you say?

Soon thereafter, we passed a white house nestled into the trees that was notable for vast streams of red that ran down its face. I presume its owners butcher animals on the second-floor porch. At least I hope that's what it was.

It was a bit of an odd stretch of road to say the least.

We had continued our slow return north on Highway 27 after a morning ride on the stunning  Cherohala Skyway into Tennessee. Far less technical than Tail of the Dragon, the 40-mile scenic byway continues to twist and turn and is, in many ways, a more enjoyable ride. Along with rides out of Prestonburg and through Great Smoky National Park, this was a highlight of the trip.

If you like being blanketed in the silence of your own thoughts, meandering streams, trees and vistas that stretch into three-dimensional panoramas, the Cherohala Skyway might be the place for you.

I know it was for me.

Vitals:
  • Time: 8 hours, 30 minutes
  • Distance: 489.3 kms
  • Weather: Sunny, with rain at the end of the day; hot
  • States: North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky
  • Wildlife: None

No comments:

Post a Comment