Friday, September 12, 2014

On Target.

Don't mask your ambition.
Hanoi, Vietnam – Questioned about my ambitious goals, I am told to aim lower.

“Things are different here.” This much is true. “Volunteers usually identify three outcomes they would like to produce in such a short time.”

I choose seven.

Having spent my past couple days designing a template, writing a user guide, preparing messaging and creating marketing pieces for three of BTL’s programs, I have achieved all but one of my outcomes by my mandate’s half-way mark.

You have to think big.

Working abroad often requires flexibility, patience and positivity: resources and training are not always the same in other countries. I can’t imagine Corel Paint has been relevant in the Canadian design community for years. Not that I’m a graphic designer anyway.

I’m just currently playing one on Vietnamese T.V.

Crop a logo out of a .PDF because there are no .jpg, let alone .eps files? Cringe, but do what you have to do.

(And leave a gentle reminder about the importance of protecting the brand.)

Advice to future volunteers: a good attitude goes a capital-L long way. Smile – albeit honestly – even if you are uncomfortable.

You’re supposed to be uncomfortable: it’s how you learn.

But, don’t be afraid to think big.

No comments:

Post a Comment