Monday, August 28, 2006

Um, Where's Waldo?

London, Ontario - Whatever is left of my sanity has obviously been checked at the door as, a mere eight hours from now, I embark on the big road trip of 2006 to Alabama (needs a catchier name than that, methinks). 2006: Gone south? 2006: States of Mind?

Why go? No great explanation beside the desire to explore and because I haven't previously really spent much time in the south. With a three day road trip, which includes a destination almost thirteen hours away, it doesn't look like I'll be spending much time in the south, still. Lewis and/or Clark I am not, but if I'm able to survive this solo voyage with no APBs being called, it will be a success. Well, that and I hope nobody asks me to kiss their grits, but, um, well, you know. Likely end destination: Huntsville, Alabama. Originally, the thought had been to go the extra hour-and-a-half to Birmingham (site of Martin Luther King's writing 'Letter from a Birmingham Jail', but I think I'll take the time savings to cut through Georgia on the way home and go through Chattanooga, Tennessee. Six states. Three days. A little saner than the original proposition to hit nine states by going a little farther west.

Rental car today: the oh-so sporty Chevrolet Cobalt. Black so that I can bake in the southern heat. Or blend into the thunderstorms that are poised ominously over the little radar screens on the weather channel. At least it has a multi-CD changer. And is surprisingly roomy. Tiny, I am not. I had been excited when it looked like I was going to be upgraded to a larger car, then -- egads! -- remembered the price of gas. When I got in, I found it comfortable enough, but then found that the seats actually went farther back. Good news. Stretching room. And, if necessary, sleeping room.

I think the jerky outlet outside of Detroit will still be closed at the time I pass by (lest you think I jest,visit The Jerky Outlet. I'm particularly fond of this customer's testimonial:
This is one tasty jerky. I swear, one night I had so much I think I went into a food coma. My wife keeps telling me "pace yourself already." And for those that like to pair up food and beverage, this goes particularly well with Dogfish Head 90 Minute India Pale Ale. Leaves a nice dry aftertaste. Oh, and porkrinds make a difference in the mix too. Sometimes I put blueberries in the ale to give it a fruity taste. All this talk has made me want to stuff my face with some jerky. Be back shortly...

And my hankering for jerky seems now to have abated somewhat. For now. But I'll have an eye out for you, my spicy, shriveled and wrinkled meat friends. Sleep first, then "hi" way. Have I mentioned that I'm geographically inept? What am I doing? What? Where's the paper bag? Thanks for the maps, SCS. Might be handy.

1 comment:

  1. Barkley, you take good care of UD, okay? I want him back (so does my mom). Especially if he brings southern treats.... mmmmm.. grits and thalmon... grits and thicken... southern belle kitty-cats...

    ReplyDelete