Saturday, October 15, 2022

Scrambled Legs.

Why did 3,000 people cross the road?
Tokyo, Japan – The city’s sidewalks unfurl before me like the rolls of paper I hope to fill with my memories. 

Here, they’re endless and orderly, even if my thoughts aren’t after 28 hours of travel.

Having arrived last night, curiosity and limited time to explore the city now carry me into the residential and business areas that have traditionally allowed me to disappear and to stand out alike. 

At my height, staying hidden may be more of a challenge in Japan. 

As people pass, they say sweet-sounding things into air that smells suspiciously of gummi bears. I’m not able to place the source, but Katsura trees are known to emit a scent of cotton candy or burnt sugar in the fall. 

Gotta catch 'em all.
I nod and smile behind my mask, unknowing. Japan only opened its borders two days ago and masks are still worn everywhere.

From Ōimachi, I wind through Shinagawa City and up to the famous Shibuya Crossing, which, as the world’s busiest intersection, peaks at 3,000 people streaming across it each minute. It’s Saturday morning and less busy today as I fall into step, criss-crossing the scramble several times just for the fun of it.

As the walk signal fades, the streets clear, a couple final stragglers sprinting like black birds separated from the flock.

Orderly, but with outliers.

No comments:

Post a Comment