Friday, May 19, 2017

Archievement Unlocked.

I MI-SS-I-SS-I-PP-I See You!
Columbia, Missouri – Tornado warnings swirl through the verdant hills around the University of Missouri.

Wisely, we've pulled over for the day.

Earlier, though, it was the murky waters of the Mississippi that twisted beneath us as we played tourist on one of St. Louis’s riverboats – its large wheel turning languidly in the midday heat. The muddy depths are currently 20 feet deeper than normal, leaving most of the Riverfront Trail submerged.

Tom Sawyer is reputed to have said "The Mississippi is too thick to drink, but too thin to plow." There isn't much to see on it around this area, either – unless watching industrial barges being filled is your thing. Still, there's something majestic about floating on the majestic river and returning to port, framed by the glint from the Gateway Arch.

In the backdrop, you can see the Civil War-era courthouse, which would hear the Dred Scott case in 1846 and the Virginia Minor trial that upheld male-only voting rights.

This is the St. Louis I came to see.

The burnt ends sandwich I enjoyed for lunch at Bogart’s was the St. Louis I came to eat.

Vitals:
  • Distance: 234.3 kms
  • Time: 2.5 hours
  • Weather: Sunny and hot, with thunderstorms at the end of the day.
  • States: Missouri
  • Wildlife: Armadillo roadkill

No comments:

Post a Comment